Followers

Monday, August 24, 2009

Never enough Summer....

We know that many of you are getting into the Fall colors already, but around here in sunny California, we stretch the Summer as much as we can....

In pursuit of an "Eternal Summer" feeling we came up with our "Framed Shells Specimen" using some leftover material we had in the garage... This is what we started with:

A chunky rustic wood frame
A piece of beadboard
Some taupe paint
Shells
Grunged Tags
Stamps

We started by cutting the beadboard to fit the opening of the frame.
A coat of the taupe color, makes a great contrast against the white of the frame, but of course, any color could be used!

While it dried, we researched the scientific name of the shells we were using and stamped those names and a # to each one of the gift tags.

Once the paint was dried, we framed the beadboard using a couple of nails on the back, attached a sawtooth and glued the shells to the front....

This is how it looked leaning on the fireplace mantle...

It was so simple and fast, that we made a companion...

Ta da!!!
They turned out with enough browns to look good around the shades of the inevitable Fall!

We hope we inspired you to make your own, but if you are not up to it and you live in our area...these cuties will be for sale at our next show: September 11th at the La Maison Rustique in Temecula, CA (more info later on that!)

For more wonderful inspiration, visit Jen at Sanctuary Arts at Home!!

18 comments:

Zita - Mlle Magpie said...

Love your shell project - looks fantastic! Can't believe you'll be selling at La Maison Rustique. I've always wanted to go there!

Pam @ bibbidi-bobbidi-beautiful said...

So pretty! What a great simple idea!

Debra@CommonGround said...

What a fun and easy project. I love the taupe background, and the tags really make it special!
Debra

sassydesigns said...

Hi Marcella!
So glad you stopped by and feel my college pain!LOL I didn't realize how hard it would be even though she is still at home! Hope your son is liking his classes so far.
This frame is so beautiful! We just did my other daughter's room in a beach cottage theme with shells! Love it!
hugs,
Dee

Lulu and Co. said...

Charming!!! now I have bookmarked that to do! love it.... how sad am I am not in your area to shop your next sale!!....can you hear me crying!!!????
and btw loved seeing the homes in SC how I miss it so,
xo,
LuLu

Sue said...

Great shell frames, as you know I'm a sucker for the all the beach stuff and tropical things! I also LOVED the tags, almost as much as the shells!

the wild raspberry said...

marcela....
i'm in kansas city missouri~
i know you must be dying to take a trip out here to help me!!!
:)

hugs~
chas

tara said...

Love these and love that you are going to be in Temecula!! yeah!! I might have to come and visit! :)

Free Art Printables said...

Love that shell project! I am so glad you could join in on the party! Jen

Casa Mia said...

Beautiful. I wish I can be at the Maison Rustique but I guess Montreal is too far! Thanks for the inspiration. You ladies make my day!

Unknown said...

Those are gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing them!

Michelle Hughes said...

Oh I love it! Especially those tags! Your blog is lovely!

Michelle

Marie said...

Hello Marcella - oh, my how I am lovin' that seashell art! Love the tags on them too. I live near Temecula and would love to come by the Barn (I have not been there before)!

Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

The framed shells turned out wonderful! Love that you printed the tags with their scientific name.

And how great is that to work with your sister :o)

And I love that you two have this on your profile:
"We have only one rule: If we both LOVE a piece and we both want to have it...it goes up for sale. After all sisterhood is more important!"
What a great way to solve a delima :o)

Blessings & Aloha!

Anonymous said...

These are very lovely! A great way to show off fun shells.

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

How cute! I love the beadboard and the tags-what a great touch!

cherry said...

love these ! What a wonderful gift idea ~ hugs, Cherry

Unknown said...

These are so cool! I really love them!

Nancy