Followers

Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas with a Chinese twist!

If you follow our blog you know that I have been patiently waiting to see Clara's 2008 Christmas Dinner place cards, and to my surprise, we (you, the reader and I) don't have to wait until Christmas Eve, she allowed me to take pictures and blog about them, Yes! ....let me explain first that she made these cuties inspired in our upcoming and very exciting trip to China...Here they are: Clara's Fortune Boxes:




She used clear 2" tall Chinese boxes, (Michael's) half filled with uncooked rice to add weight and keep them in place and a Fortune Cookie.



Clara decorated the front of the box with pretty red and green papers, the Chinese symbol of the guest's Chinese zodiac and the English translation, in this case, Rooster. I love this idea because having this instead of the guest name, becomes an instant conversation piece, a total ice breaker...not that we need one in our family: as typical Argentinians, we all talk at the same time and at the same volume.... (yes, loud)
A red satin ribbon in a delicate bow and a little card reading Shen Dan Kuai Le (Merry Christmas in Chinese) finish her adorable creation.


Remember this project if you are having friends over for Chinese food. Keep in mind that even something simple and casual can become a memorable night...like Martha says, it's all in the details: dedicate a couple of hours to make Clara's Fortune Boxes, get rid of the take out containers, lit a couple of candles and you got yourself a magical night!

You can find the complete list of the Chinese zodiac at this site and the Chinese translation to any phrase: Happy Birthday, Love you, Have a good trip....etc here.

On Christmas Eve I'll bring home my own Fortune Box, it will remind me of my Sister's creativity and dedication to our family, it will remind me of another magical Christmas, a night when we loudly love each person in the room and silently miss those far, far away....

5 comments:

Lola Enchanted said...

Great idea!

*~MERRY CHRISTMAS~*

Judy's Vintage Collections said...

Thanks so much for sharing fun and sweet gifts...
Merry Christmas!
from the heart of Texas!
afriendtoyou!
Judy aka Vintage Art

Anonymous said...

Adorable!! Thanks for sharing, have a wonderful Christmas..!

Hugs~

Tara

Patricia said...

What a lovely idea for the placecards. Hope you are having a marvelous trip and taking lots of pictures to share here!

Pat
Patricia Rose-A Potpourri of Fabric, Fragrance and Findings
www.patriciarose-apotpourri.com
www.patriciarose-apotpourriof.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Thank you sooo much for sharing your travels with us. I loved the photos. I feel like I've known you guys forever! Thanks for your warmth and blogging friendship. Rita